Do you have dreams of recording your own music in your own home? Or maybe you make YouTube videos or stream gaming content online that involves a lot of chatting, singing, and occasionally shouting.
Either way, you’re going to need a space in your home that keeps the sound within your own four walls, otherwise, you can expect noise complaints from irritated neighbors.
But what if you can’t afford to have professional soundproofing installed?
Well— look no further! A soundproof blanket could be the perfect solution. Not only do they do a great job at controlling the spread of sound, but they’re pretty affordable too. But with so many soundproof blankets available on the market right now, finding the perfect one can be a lengthy and tiresome pursuit.
In this article, we’ll take a closer look at soundproof blankets and pick out the very best ones on the market. Not only that, but our handy Buyer’s Guide will answer any questions or queries you may have regarding the setup, use and maintenance of a soundproof blanket.
Let’s take a look at our favorites…
OUR TOP PICK
The top spot on our list has to go to this heavy-duty moving blanket made by the brand Stalwart. It’s one of the most talked-about soundproofing blankets on the market at the moment, and the thousands of positive Amazon reviews seem to speak for themself.
Although the blanket is advertised as a moving blanket to protect goods during transit, many reviewers found that it makes a perfect soundproofing blanket for a home studio or games room.
The blanket itself is made from recycled cotton which is layered and padded for extra protection and sound absorption. Thanks to the zig-zag double stitching, the blanket is double quilted which makes it thick and durable.
It’s also double-sided, so you can choose the color you’d rather have on display in your room; blue or black. Each corner of the blanket is finished with intricate cloth binding which enhances the longevity of the blanket. The blanket dimensions are 14.2 x 10.9 x 7.3 inches, which makes it plenty big enough to cover a wall or door.
As well as providing great sound-dampening benefits, this blanket is super-versatile, so you’re not limited to using it in your home studio! The versatile sheet can be used to protect furniture and vehicles from knocks, bumps, and scratches, prevent pet damage in your vehicle or used as a dustsheet to keep grime and moisture at bay.
- This product has great reviews and feedback and is one of the most popular of its kind on Amazon, giving you a little extra peace of mind.
- Multi-functional - it can be used as a sound-dampening sheet as well as a picnic blanket, furniture protector, or pet blanket.
- This blanket is machine washable, meaning you won’t have to buy another if it gets mucky. Simply pop it on a cold wash cycle.
- This blanket is extremely affordable compared to those you’d find in-store.
- Some reviewers mentioned that the blankets have an unpleasant smell when they first arrive. This can be removed by washing, however.
Next up is this sound absorption sheet from Audimute. Audimute specializes in sound management solutions, so their products are perfect for those looking to create a studio or rehearsal room in their home. All of their products are made here in the US and are all non-toxic, non-carcinogenic, and fiberglass-free.
Each blanket is carefully constructed from Audimute’s special eco-C-tex Sound Absorption Material. This is a unique blend of recycled cotton and cellulose fibers which require far less energy to produce compared to traditional fiberglass or foam soundproofing products. This means that opting for an Audimute blanket is the best choice for the planet, and you can enjoy your sheet guilt-free.
The blanket has an NRC rating of 0.85, making it capable of absorbing up to 85% of sound waves that come into contact with the sheet.
The manufacturer states that the blanket is suitable for studios, vocal booths, drum rooms, home offices, home theatres, conference rooms, small apartments, condos, and caravans.
However, you can’t toss this blanket in the washer when it gets grubby. Audimute blankets must be hand cleaned only, either by vacuuming or light dusting with water-based cleaning products.
- Audimute specializes in sound control solutions, so the blanket is made specifically for keeping sound in.
- Each blanket is made with 100% non-toxic ingredients and contains no traces of fiberglass, making it a safer option.
- Audimute offers free next-day shipping on all of their products if you buy more than 1 item.
- Unfortunately, this blanket isn’t machine washable. It can only be cleaned by hand dusting or vacuuming, which can be time-consuming and labor-intensive.
A list of the best soundproofing blankets is not complete without the addition of this one from US Cargo. Their huge sound-dampening sheet is one of their most popular products right now, and it’s easy to see why.
It provides a perfect all-in-one solution for soundproofing a room at home. While this blanket is the perfect size to cover a door, multiple units can be purchased and used together to soundproof an entire room.
The blanket itself is made from a durable cotton and polyester blend. The inner padding is also made from 100% recycled cotton, making it sustainable and environmentally friendly.
The sheet conveniently comes pre-fitted with grommets which make it super easy to hang. You’ll find 9 grommets across the 80” side of the sound-dampening blanket. This means that you can hang the blanket anywhere in the home with ease.
The dimensions of the blanket are 96 x 80 x 0.01 inches and it comes in a standard solid black color. The blanket itself weighs 12 pounds, which is light enough to move around independently and change positions when you desire, but also heavy enough to provide adequate sound-dampening benefits.
- Dimensions of 96 x 80 x 0.01 inches, making it the perfect size for a door frame, no folding required! Additional blankets can be purchased for larger areas.
- This product is made specifically with soundproofing in mind, making it ideal for use in home studios, offices, games rooms, and home movie theatres.
- It’s made from sustainable materials for a guilt-free shopping experience.
- Some reviewers report that when this blanket is attached to a door, it can make said door difficult to open, However, this is subjective and many other reviewers claim that this isn’t an issue for them.
Up next, is yet another product from the brand Audimute. Their isole sound absorption sheet is one of the most popular on the market right now. This is because it allows for a portable acoustic environment that addresses both sound absorption and sound isolation needs.
Once again, like all Audimute products, this blanket comes fitted with their eco-C-tex recycled sound absorption material that is not only effective, but also non-toxic, non-carcinogenic, and 100% fiberglass-free.
This blanket also comes fitted with a 3.2mm layer of Peacemaker fabric. Peacemaker fabric is super durable and is considered a “green” and renewable soundproofing material.
Peacemaker is made of rubber and most new rubber products will emit a harmless low-level odor which will lessen over time and poses no health risks. However, some individuals with increased sensitivity to smell may find this odor unpleasant.
The combination of materials used in the isole blanket makes it ideal for absorbing and blocking sound that would otherwise reflect and escape through doors, windows, vents, and walls.
This blanket has an NRC rating of 0.75, which means it is capable of absorbing up to 75% of sound waves. While this isn’t as effective as some of the other blankets on this list, it’s still going to make a huge difference to your space compared to having no sound solutions at all.
Once again, this Audimute blanket is not suitable for machine washing. Instead, it should be cleaned with water-based products only with only light dusting and vacuuming.
- NRC rating of 0.75, making it effect2ive at blocking out up to 75% of the sound, perfect for a home studio or theatre.
- It’s safe for your health as it contains no harmful ingredients and is made from a blend of recycled cotton and cellulose fibers.
- Comes with included hardware, making it easy to hang the sheets from the metal grommets.
- Unfortunately, this blanket isn’t machine washable. It can only be cleaned by hand dusting or vacuuming, which can be time-consuming and labor-intensive.
Another blanket we feel is worth mentioning is this one from Somide. Somide started making blankets back in 2005 and hasn’t looked back since. In fact, they’ve sold enough blankets to create a super-soft path around the world— 20 times over!
The reason for their success is probably due to the fact that their products are extremely affordable compared to other similar blankets that you’d find in-store or on acoustic websites.
The dimensions of the blanket are 17.56 x 15.35 x 3.15 inches, making it ideal for soundproofing at home. One blanket can be used to cover a door, or multiple can be bought to cover larger areas and whole rooms.
The blanket weighs 7.73 pounds, which is just about right for this type of product. It’s light enough to move around independently with ease, but it’s also heavy enough to provide adequate sound absorption. The manufacturer makes it clear that this blanket is versatile; consider using it when camping, in the car, on picnics and much more.
Thanks to Somide’s intelligent design and double-lock stitching technology, the inner-cushioning will never move out of place, ultimately enhancing the longevity of your blanket. Also, they provide thick and superior protection compared to many competitors’ blankets, which are often made from poor materials.
- Dimensions of 17.56 x 15.35 x 3.15 inches make it perfect for hanging over a door or using multiple to cover a room.
- This blanket is versatile. You can use it as a soundproofing sheet one day, then use it as a picnic blanket the next.
- This blanket is 100% machine washable so you won’t have to worry about hand dusting or vacuuming. Simply toss into a cold wash and you’re good to go!
- This blanket only comes in one color option; black.
Next up is this studio blanket from the brand Filmcraft Studio. Although this brand is pretty small in the acoustics scene, this particular blanket seems to be soaring in popularity among those seeking sound management solutions.
Some of the product reviews were posted by recording artists and musicians, who are happy with the quality. Some mention that it is slightly heavier than a regular furniture dust blanket, so this should be a good sign regarding sound control.
The blanket itself is 22 x 19 x 2.5 inches, which is ideal for hanging in a home studio or theatre. Our favorite feature of this blanket is the fact that it comes pre-fitted with grommets on all sides. This makes it versatile and super easy to hang up or drape anywhere you like with minimal tools.
It’s important to note that this blanket is lighter than most typical sound-dampening blankets, weighing just 5.5 pounds. However, this makes it easier to move around and more versatile.
Filmcraft Studios state that this blanket can be doubled as a protective sheet for moving furniture, instruments, or even fine art. However, they don’t seem to have included an NRC rating anywhere in their product description, so we can assume that it’s un-rated.
Additionally, it’s important to note that this blanket is not machine washable, and the manufacturer doesn’t mention any hand-cleaning instructions.
- Made specifically for sound dampening purposes, as Filmcraft Studios focus on sound management solutions.
- The dimensions of 22 x 19 x 2.5 inches make this blanket ultra-versatile and can be used for many things such as a picnic blanket or furniture protector.
- This blanket doesn’t have an NRC rating, so it’s hard to know just how much sound it blocks.
- This blanket is not machine washable and provides no cleaning instructions.
Last, but certainly not least, is yet another product from Audimute. Their sound absorption and sound dampening blanket is worth a mention, primarily because of the sheer amount of positive reviews and feedback it has been receiving online.
Customers love that this blanket is made here in the US and from only the safest and most environmentally friendly materials.
This blanket has an NRC rating of 0.85, which means that it absorbs an average of 85% of sound waves that come into contact with the sheet. As we already know, Audimute sheets and panels are composed of eco-C-tex, which is Audimute's recycled sound absorption material that is effective, non-toxic, and requires less energy to produce than traditional fiberglass and foam acoustic products.
However, it’s important to note that this blanket is not machine washable. Instead, they can be cleaned by lightly dusting or vacuuming, or spot treating as needed. Absorption sheets and blankets should never be completely saturated, as moisture can gather inside and breed bacteria.
The fabric used in this blanket is a blend of recycled cellulose and cotton, or more specifically, poly-poplin and non-woven poly-fabric.
- Comes from a reputable brand- Audiomute specialize in sound control solutions, so you know you’re going to get a quality product.
- Has an NRC rating of 0.85 which absorbs an average of 85% of all sound waves that come into contact with the sheet.
- This blanket is not suitable for machine washing. The manufacturer recommends hand dusting and vacuuming lightly instead.
Best Soundproof Blankets Buying Guide
Shopping around for sound management solutions is never easy, and will probably involve a few instances of trial and error before you find your perfect soundproofing blanket.
This is because each blanket comes from a different manufacturer, who all use different materials and processes to make their blanket unique.
Typically, soundproofing or sound-dampening blankets will come fitted with a bunch of features that make them great at absorbing sound waves. This can include unique kind of materials, stitching patterns, and hanging solutions.
Arguably the most important aspect of your soundproofing blanket is what it’s made from. While when shopping for bedding and clothes, “breathable” fabric is often considered the ideal, the opposite applies when it comes to sound-dampening blankets.
The less breathable a fabric is, the more effective it is going to be at keeping sound locked in. To test whether or not a fabric is breathable, simply blow onto it. If you feel the air on the other side, then the fabric is breathable, and therefore acoustically transparent.
The inner pockets of padded material are what provide the best sound protection. These cushioned pockets are often stuffed with dense materials such as recycled cotton, a polyester blend, mineral wool, fiberglass, or mass-loaded vinyl. This is because sound waves struggle to move through these materials, keeping them trapped in one space.
Keep your eyes peeled for blankets that come with pre-fitted grommets. These are essentially just small holes that make the blanket easier to hang up and drape. If easy setup is a selling point for you, consider a blanket with pre-fitted grommets.
One thing you’ll definitely notice while shopping around for a soundproof blanket is the huge range of price points. If you’re looking at high-end sound-dampening blankets, you can expect higher quality materials, but at a price.
If you need a blanket for professional purposes, we recommend spending this extra money and ensuring that the blanket’s NRC rating is up to the task.
However, if you’re on a tight budget, you could always opt for a moving blanket. Often, the blankets that professional moving companies use for wrapping around furniture and fine art to prevent bumps and scratches work great as sound absorbers. They’re way cheaper than blankets advertised as “acoustic” but can still absorb an adequate amount of sound in most cases.
While some moving blankets will come with pre-fitted grommets, many will not. Moving blankets are much less effective at deadening sound than true acoustic soundproofing blankets but they will soak up a decent amount of noise.
As a basic rule of thumb, the thicker the blanket, the happier you will be with its sound reduction properties.
Best Soundproof Blankets - FAQ's
Do soundproof blankets block all sound?
No. It’s important to note that blankets never truly can be sound “proof.” Instead, they dampen the sound, making it less audible to the outside world or nearby neighbors.
No blanket will absorb 100% of the noise in the space you put it in, but you will notice a significant difference. Some sound-dampening blankets, including some on this list, can block up to 80% of all sound waves!
For additional soundproofing properties, consider investing in multiple blankets and layering them until you get your desired noise level. You can also look into getting a pair of soundproofing curtains for any windows and doors in your space, as lots of sound escapes this way.
Can I cut my soundproof blanket?
No, you should never cut into a soundproof blanket. This is because the blankets often consist of hundreds of pockets of material placed specifically for optimal sound absorbency.
By cutting into your blanket, you’d risk unraveling the inner material and losing some of the soundproofing properties. Instead, we recommend measuring the length and width of the space you plan to hang your blanket before making a hasty purchase. This way you won’t irreparably damage your blanket, ultimately resulting in regret.
Where can I use a soundproof blanket?
- Home Studio - You can drape a soundproof blanket or sheet along the door, walls and window of the recording studio in your home if you’re lucky enough to have one.
- Small Rooms and Apartments - You can use a soundproofing blanket to lessen the noise from neighbors and vice versa, this is especially useful for those living in large apartment complexes with lots of neighbors behind every wall.
- Study Spaces - Everyone knows that studying for an exam or getting work done is easiest in a quiet space. Consider hanging a soundproof blanket to lessen distracting noises such as traffic, music, chatter, and general hustle and bustle.